Monday 2 September 2013

the prolonged absence because we moved

the white walls wait expectantly. pale blank walls invite the addition of interest. a tarnished bevelled mirror and wooden frames. twenty three copper leaves. but we're taking our time. the birds and the bells call me to the windows. windows full of sky. sky changeable in it's temperament and colours. I love watching the weather move in, which is out towards the sea. the way the light and clouds sharpen and soften the edges of the buildings on the skyline like a painting.  the way colour disperses. the grey sky thunders and holds it's water for now. there are pieces of our lives still in boxes stacked in little rows. walls within walls that hold the ghosts of the way things used to be. my dad and his amateur architectural investigations and reading of walls, he'll tell you. then the beginning of new rituals at the kitchen table. the vocalisation of a day's thanks. seventy five stone steps to a front door the colour of wine that folds in two. a ramshackle palace of cracks and draughts and space and charm. a place for the creation of new memories. a new home. reminds me of nanci and this...

5 comments:

s said...

there's something beautiful about making a house a home. and not being in a rush to do it.

alvaro barcala said...

It sounds so very lovely.

Heavenly words to start to decorate and fill your new home.

Congrats!

Richard Goode said...

Oh this sounds magnificent!! Kitchen tables are, for me, the heart of any home. Your new home sounds just so wonderful and perfect for you two. x

Jane O Sullivan said...

""seventy five stone steps to a front door the colour of wine that folds in two. a ramshackle palace of cracks and ""
..... sounds a line from a nick cave song , love it all , good luck on your new adventure , I too am reorganizing space , in my tiny attic studio which has too much in it that I cannot see anymore and altho its hard for me ....I have to let go , to take in . xx

Angela said...

what beautiful words and images. I am glad I stumbled upon your blog.